Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from a Smitten Kitchen recipe
Make and share this Curried Lentils With Sweet Potatoes and Swiss Chard recipe from Food.com.
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml gingerroot, peeled and grated (1-inch piece)
- 7.39 ml garam masala
- 7.39 ml curry powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded if desired, then minced
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth (up to 5 as needed)
- 907.18 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 354.88 ml dried lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 453.59 g swiss chard, center ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 4.92 ml kosher salt, more to taste
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 78.07 ml cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1 lime, juice of
- 59.14 ml scallion, chopped, for garnish
- 1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, garam masala, curry powder and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in 4 cups broth, sweet potatoes, lentils and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, partially cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. (If lentils seem dry, add up to 1 cup stock, as needed.) Stir in chard and salt and pepper, and continue cooking until lentils are tender and chard is cooked, about 30 to 45 minutes total.
- 3. Just before serving, stir in cilantro, lime zest and juice. Spoon into a large, shallow serving dish. Garnish with tamari almonds if desired and scallions.