Sausage and Swiss Chard Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Brimming with andouille sausage, Swiss chard and white beans, this hearty soup is the perfect cool-weather dish.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs andouille chicken sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, white portion only, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 1 cup water, warmed
- 2 cups white beans, cooked and drained (or canned)
- 4 ounces swiss chard, stems removed, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (for garnish) (optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, boil the wine until reduced to 1/2 cup, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a soup pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and let cool, then cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
- In the same pot over medium-low heat, cook the onion, celery, carrot and leek, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more. Add the reduced wine, the stock and water, increase the heat to medium-high and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the sausage, white beans and chard and cook until the chard wilts, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, and garnish with the cheese. Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION