Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice vegetarian curry. Easy because it uses canned beans. Serve over hot cooked rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped for garnish
- hot cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and saute onions, garlic and ginger until onions are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, salt, cider vinegar, sugar and tomatoes.
- Cover and reduce heat. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, black beans, lemon juice and parsley and simmer covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped green onions and serve over hot cooked rice.
This was great! We topped it with cilantro instead of parsley and skipped the rice. Amazing!
This was good, but I liked Kozmic Blue's version better. This was a little too acidic for me.
This recipe is a great stand-alone dish or it can be served as a side dish. It was a great accompaniment with my stuffed eggplant. I used the cider vinegar; however, next time I might use the red wine vinegar and/or balsamic as the other reviews mentioned. I also added a little cumin to balance out the spices. Made for the Chickpea tag game - May, 2011. Thanks for the post