Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Also known as "Kansas Hot Dish" in my family. This is ultimate comfort food, and so easy! Don't take the ingredient amounts too seriously, I "eyeball" most of it. I make this when I'm not feeling well, or for friends when they're going through a rough time. Make a lower fat version with light mayo and reduced fat cream of mushroom soup.
- 1 whole roasting chicken, roasted and fine diced (or equivalent amount of chicken breasts, about four)
- 1 lb frozen broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 8 ounces cream of mushroom soup (standard sized can)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste, I usually use about 2 Tb.)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 9 x 13 glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Arrange broccoli in bottom, sprinkle with almonds and arrange chicken on top.
- For the sauce, mix cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, sherry, and curry powder until well blended. Spoon evenly over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle cheddar on top.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minute until cheese starts to turn golden and it is bubbly. Serve over rice.
Love this recipe. Absolutely delicious! Didn't use full amount of curry, as seemed a lot to add. I will definitely add more next time (which will be for supper tonight) as the curry flavor is wonderful in this dish. I cooked fresh broccoli in the micro as holds texture and color so well. Thanks MeINTex for posting your recipe!
I' give it more stars if I could, kids didn't care for it, but all the adults did and so did the nieghbors. Served it over basmati rice with tumeric. Also did the chicken breasts on the BBQ and fresh broccoli steamed in the mircowave. great curry flavor.