Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Low Carb recipe found in Prevention May 2005.
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup barley
- 1 lb peeled and deveined sm frozen cooked shrimp, thawed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 chopped peeled cucumber
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons seeded finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- romaine lettuce leaf
- 1 lime, quartered
- Combine curry, turmeric, and 3 cups of water in large saucepan and heat to a boil.
- Stir in barley.
- Cover and cook in low heat until water is absorbed and barley is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer to colander. Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- In large bowl, combine barley, shrimp, tomatoes, bell pepper, and cucumber.
- In small bowl, whisk juice, oil, chile pepper(to taste), garlic, and salt until blended.
- Pour over barley mixture and toss.
- Spoon barley salad on top of lettuce and sprinkle with basil. Garnish with lime.