1/1 Photo of Cumin and Saffron Rice
From sallybernstein.com. Zaffrani Chaval is its original Indian name. This is the standard rice Lachu serves at Ajanta. It would serve nicely as a side dish to non-Indian dishes as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil and fry black cumin seeds for 10 seconds.
- 2Add rice and saute for a few minutes until rice starts to change color and become opaque.
- 3Add water and salt. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and cover.
- 4Simmer until all liquid is absorbed (15 to 20 minutes) and rice is cooked.
- 5Pour saffron water into middle 2-inch circle of rice. Leave covered for a few minutes for water to be absorbed.
- 6Fluff up rice with a fork and mix. Rice should be a marbled mix of white and yellow grains.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cumin and Saffron Rice
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.6
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 590.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g