Recipe by bigbadbrenda
Adapted from the Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving. This time I am trying out using English cucumbers instead. Very colourful and tasty on hamburgers and hot dogs or just as an addition on your plate.
- 7 cups cucumbers
- 4 cups green peppers
- 4 cups red peppers
- 4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons celery seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the vegetables; peel and chop cucumbers, seed the peppers and chop into small pieces. Put all vegetables into a large bowl put in the pickling salt. Mix and let stand covered for about 4 hours.
- Rinse vegetables well after 4 hours and press out the excess moisture.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients: sugar, vinegar, celery and mustard seed into a large pot; mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables, return to boil and boil gently for 10 minutes.
- Have your canning pot ready with 7 pint sterilized jars and lids.
- Ladle relish to within 1/2 inch of top , remove air bubbles, wipe top of jar to remove any liquid that may be there. Place lids thats have been softened in boiling water on and screw band on. Make sure it's not too tight. Place jars in canner and process for 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
- You should hear that lovely pop, wipe jars, check to see that all jars have sealed, label and store in a cool dark place.