Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from the Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving. This time I am trying out using English cucumbers instead. Very colourful and tasty on hamburgers and hot dogs or just as an addition on your plate.
- Wash the vegetables; peel and chop cucumbers, seed the peppers and chop into small pieces. Put all vegetables into a large bowl put in the pickling salt. Mix and let stand covered for about 4 hours.
- Rinse vegetables well after 4 hours and press out the excess moisture.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients: sugar, vinegar, celery and mustard seed into a large pot; mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables, return to boil and boil gently for 10 minutes.
- Have your canning pot ready with 7 pint sterilized jars and lids.
- Ladle relish to within 1/2 inch of top , remove air bubbles, wipe top of jar to remove any liquid that may be there. Place lids thats have been softened in boiling water on and screw band on. Make sure it's not too tight. Place jars in canner and process for 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
- You should hear that lovely pop, wipe jars, check to see that all jars have sealed, label and store in a cool dark place.
I scaled the recipe back to make 2 pints. This will be great on veggie burgers! Good taste and fairly easy to make. Thank you!
My MIL and I made this today. We havent tasted it yet by rating by smell it will be awesome. I got 8 pints and two 1/2 pint jars out of it ( so MIL could take some home with her). It was easy to prepare and cooked up so nice. The red peppers gave it such great color. Thanks for posting it.