Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Oh boy! Summer's just around the corner. Recipe from Chicken & Egg by Janice Cole.
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- 3⁄4 cup seeded diced cucumber (about 1/2 cucumber)
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion (green part only)
- 3 tablespoons lightly packed chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Gently combine the eggs, cucumbers, shallots, green onions, and basil in a medium bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
I was looking for something different to make with fresh-from-the-garden cucumbers. I was a bit shy to try this because there were no other reviews. This wasn't the best egg salad in the world, but it was a pleasant change. I didn't have shallots so I opted for yellow onion. The egg salad was refrigerated for one hour to allow flavors to settle. We enjoyed the cucumber crunch and their flavor wasn't overwhelming. Their bulk stretched the servings to what you'd normally expect with a dozen eggs. Leftovers didn't do well because the cucumbers watered down the mixture. I'll make it again if we have an abundance of cucumbers to use.