1/1 Photo of Cuban Black Beans and Rice
3 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
carole in orlando's Note:
I can't remember where I got this recipe. The Cuban surgeon at the hospital where I worked said it was "almost as good" as his mother's!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 slice cooked and crumbled bacon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- chopped green onion, chopped hard boiled eggs,sour cream
- 1In a large stockpot cover beans with water and boil for 2 minutes.
- 2Remove from heat and let stand for one hour.
- 3Drain water and cover with fresh water (6 cups).
- 4In a skillet saute the onions, bell pepper and garlic in oil for 5 minutes, until tender.
- 5Add onion mixture and all remaining ingredients, except the red wine vinegar, to the beans and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to simmer covered for 2 hours, until beans are tender.
- 7Add more water if necessary.
- 8At the last minute add the red wine vinegar, just before serving.
- 9Serve with 2 cups of cooked rice.
- 10Top with chopped green onions, chopped hard boiled eggs or sour cream.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Black Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.7
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.9 mg
- Sodium 412.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 18.5 g