William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
A delicious and medium spicy soup. This is my version for a Cuban Black Bean Soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 (19 fluid ounce) cans black beans, include liquid
- 40 fluid ounces vegetable broth or 40 fluid ounces chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup diced celery root or 2 large celery ribs, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped small (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (paste of fresh chili)
- 4 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes or 4 tablespoons potato flakes
- 1Rinse red and brown lentils in cold water.
- 2In a medium size saucepan, add lentils and 2 cups of water and bring to boil.
- 3Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4In a medium size cooking pot, add cooked lentils including liquid, black beans including liquid, broth, chicken soup base, cubed potatoes, celery root and bring to boil.
- 5Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 6In the meantime, to a medium size frying pan, add butter, olive oil, chopped garlic and onions and saute' until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add onion mixture to soup pot.
- 8Add soy sauce, black pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, crushed oregano, 4 cups water and bring to boil.
- 9Add more water if soup is too thick.
- 10Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 11Remove about 1/3 of the soup into a bowl.
- 12Using an electric blender, blend and return to soup pot.
- 13Add Sambal Oelek and instant mashed potatoes; stir well to blend.
- 14Bring soup just to boil.
- 15Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 16Serve soup hot.
- 17NOTE: You can use dried black beans instead of canned.
- 18You will require 2 cups of dried beans, soak overnight in water.
- 19Next day, drain and rinse.
- 20Canned lentils may also be used instead of dried, Will require 1 (19 fluid ounce) can, include liquid.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Black Bean Soup - Uncle Bill's Version
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.7
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 88.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: