Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Again another one of my Grandma Clark's recipes our family LOVES. It is at almost every family gathering. I have used 'store bought' icing before and it works OK but I prefer to make my own powdered sugar icing. This is a LARGE recipe and my servings are a guess as my family eats the cookies before I can count. I often half this recipe to make a more manageable number of cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup lard or 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Drop from a spoon onto pan.
- Bake at 350 F until lightly browned at edges (I believe 8-10 minutes but WATCH).
- Remove to wire cooling rack (if needed let sit on pan 1-2 minutes).
- Ice while hot/warm with powdered sugar icing.
These cookies turned out awesome. I followed directions except I only used 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tbsp milk for the icing and it was the perfect amount.