Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
My family loves this cheesy bread--especially the variation with the extra cheese. It is the cheesiest!
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir gently to moisten.
- With mixer, blend softened yeast with cottage cheese, sugar, salt and egg.
- Add flour in 1/2 cup portions to form stiff dough.
- Beat well by hand after each addition.
- Cover dough and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Stir down dough and transfer to buttered casserole.
- Let rise another 30 to 40 minutes until almost double.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush crust with butter and serve.
- Variations: Add 1 tablespoon grated onion and 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds before adding flour.
- Mix in 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese when stirring down dough.
Great bread, thanks for posting your recipe. I did not have cottage cheese, but did have some ricotta and it worked out perfectly in its place. I mixed in the cheddar as suggested. It was soft and moist. If anything maybe a little bland. Next time we are going to mix in some herbs and lots of garlic.
As you can see from my photo, I made a double batch. One in a typical rectangular bread pan, and one in a 1.5 qt round casserole dish, which turned out fine. I used fat-free cottage cheese and low-fat sharp yellow cheddar. The result was a dark brown (but not burnt) cripsy crust and a spongey, chewy inside that was really delicious. I bought fresh active yeast (pull date was 2 years from now!) and yet it was pretty dead, didn't foam at all in the warm water. Afraid it would give me a poor result, I decided to use a packet of instant yeast I had and it worked just fine (left out the water because instant yeast doesn't need to be primed.) Since I made a double batch, I should have used 2 packets of yeast, which might have given me larger loaves. It also took almost twice as long to rise. But then end result was fabulous and I will definitely make it again. Maybe with jalapeños next time! This deserves more than 5 stars!
This is an excellent recipe. Such tasty bread! I did add the cheddar cheese, a generous cup of it. I used a combination of whole wheat and whole wheat pastry flour, so I included probably a quarter cup of wheat gluten. Definitely going to make this recipe again.