Recipe by Aristos Smith
This great summer salad is unique in flavour and texture. With the sweet watermelon and crunchy noodles, this salad is refreshing and gives a nice lift to any out door occasion.
- 1⁄2 slice seedless watermelon, medium size wedge, cubed
- 1⁄2 Chinese cabbage (wombok)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 6 green onions, sliced in diagonal chunks
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 4 cm peeled and cut into fine strips
- 200 g fried egg noodles, broken up
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh coriander, chopped (cilantro)
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh mint leaves, torn
- 2 teaspoons lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 2 limes, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup palm sugar or 1⁄4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Finley slice the cabbage and place in a large bowl filled with water; sprinkle over caster sugar. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes in a cool place.
- In a small bowl, mix the palm sugar or soft brown sugar with the lime zest, juice and fish sauce. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Drain the wombok, and then add green onions, chillies, ginger and crispy noodles. Toss well until combined. Add the seedless watermelon and mix gently.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Garnish with fresh coriander, mint leaves and toasted sesame seeds.
- SERVE IMMEDIATELY AS THE NOODLES WILL LOSE THEIR CRISPNESS.