This makes a great meatless meal, a lovely luncheon or dinner salad when topped with a grilled & sliced chicken breast. I tend to like a tangier dressing so I use less oil than vinegar. Feel free to adjust to your taste. The amount of added veggies, fruits & nuts can be increased as well. I recently discovered that by adding sugar snap peas & seedless cucumbers it has a more "Asian" flair to it. Enjoy! This can be made a day ahead and tossed with the dressing before serving. Prep time does not included grilling chicken breast or shrimp. If serving as a side salad, this will serve up 8-10+.
- 16 ounces shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced with tops
- 1⁄2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup cashew halves
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 ounces oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles, reserve seasoning packet
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1 apple, with peels, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄2-1 cup seedless cucumber, quartered, peels on
- 1⁄2-1 cup sugar snap pea, trimmed and halved
- 1⁄4 cup radicchio, for color (optional)
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, 1/2 per person (optional)
- seasoning packet from soup
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar or 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar or 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- Mix all veggies, nuts and fruits together.
- Break up DRY noodles (**do not boil) and add to veggie mix before serving.
- Make dressing. Whisk together all the ingredients listed, until sugar dissolves. Set aside if making ahead.
- At this point you can refrigerate overnight.
- Toss with dressing, serve and top with chicken or shrimp, if desired.