Recipe by Torbjorn
This is a traditional Finnish cookie recipe that originated somewhere in the countryside of Western Finland. The cookies are sweet but very dry, so be sure to have a supply of milk at hand! The recipe works well with low lactose or lactose-free butter.
- 200 g butter
- 200 ml sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar syrup or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 500 ml wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons vanilla sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the flour, soda and vanilla sugar.
- Foam the butter, sugar and syrup by hand in a separate container.
- Add the flour mixture to the foam and mix into a dough.
- Separate the dough into flat bars.
- Oven cook for 10 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
- Cut the cooked dough to pieces. The dough should still be soft at this stage.
- Leave the cookies to cool and harden in room temperature. To achieve maximum crunchiness, allow them to harden overnight.