Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This rice cooks with a crunchy bottom that gets stirred into the rice. To be served with Lemon Cucumber Dill Sauce and Lemon and Onion Marinated Beef.
- 2 cups rice (any rice will do, just not instant)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 quarts water, to cook rice in
- Preparation: Boil several quarts of water in large pot, no need to measure. When water comes to a boil add rice and cook until half done (think al dente for pasta) stiring occasionally. This usually takes about 10-15 minutes, depending on type of rice.
- Place strainer in sink and pour in half cooked rice. Run cool water over rice until completely cooled.
- Place butter in a pot with a lid. Melt butter over medium heat. Pour cold rice over butter. With the end of a wooden spoon (or something like that) make 6-8 holes in the rice all the way to the bottom of the pot (this will help rice steam evenly).
- Place lid on pot and let cook without peeking for 15 minutes. Check for browning at bottom edge of pan. If rice is not ready cook for another 10-15 minutes. If bottom of rice is lightly browned and rice is cooked turn rice out into a serving bowl and stir gently. If rice is brown but not completely cooked turn heat down to low and cook for another 5-10 minutes. If rice is cooked but not brown turn heat up to medium high and cook until bottom is browned. This step can be difficult to master but the result is crunchy buttery goodness worth practicing for!
This one is kind of hard for me to review, I absolutly LOVED it but DH didn't care for the crunch - felt it tasted like the rice was not done. To me it was just enough to give a differant but great taste and feel to something that is usually pretty bland. So that said, with two differant opinons - I'm still giving it 4 stars as I"M the one cooking and rating. The timing to get the brown bottom did take awhile - but in the end it tasted great and looked awesome. Made for Fall PAC 2012