Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I never seem to have butter softened to the right temperature when I want to make coffee cake, so I finally asked my mom for her recipe, and it doesn't require any softened butter, just oil, so it is a breeze to make. It is easy to get the consistency of the crumb topping just right. You could substitute other types of nuts if you wanted.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 7⁄8 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Mix sugars and oil.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Remove 6 tablespoons of mixture and reserve for crumb topping.
- Add egg and buttermilk to the larger portion of the mixture. Stir well. Put in 9X13.
- To reserved crumb mixture, add nuts to taste and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
This was delicious...I used pecans instead of walnuts and it was wonderul! Thank you for the recipe!