Recipe by Dee514
A crown roast makes an impressive dinner, especially for holidays. This is the recipe I've used for years, and is always a crowd pleaser. Sometimes I use an apple and sausage stuffing instead (see below).
Top Review by Polish Chick
Sounds great, can't wait to try it. But, Miss Gracie--if you altered the recipe so much as to leave a very long review, why don't you just make up your own recipe and post it?
- 1 pork loin crown roast (about 8-9 pounds, 14 ribs)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 1182.95 ml dry bread, cubes
- 4 medium apples, peeled cored and chopped
- 4 medium pears, peeled,cored and chopped
- 177.44 ml golden raisin
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans
- 59.14 ml prepared horseradish
- 118.29 ml chicken stock
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine, melted
- 4.92 ml ground sage
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
Apple and Sausage Stuffing
- 453.59 g sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 59.14 ml butter
- 1182.95 ml chopped onions
- 473.18 ml chopped celery
- 1892.72 ml diced cored tart green apples
- 14.79 ml dried rubbed sage
- 9.85 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 1301.24 ml herbed cubed seasoned stuffing mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pork roast in roasting pan, resting on bone tips (like a rack).
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat.
- Roast, uncovered, at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours.
- In a medium skillet, heat vegetable oil.
- Sauté onions and celery until onions are golden.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss well.
- Remove roast from oven; drain off excess fat.
- Turn roast right side up (bones facing up), and replace in pan.
- Fill cavity with stuffing.
- Spoon the rest of the stuffing into a greased baking dish.
- Bake stuffing uncovered with pork roast for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 160°F.
- Let roast stand 15 minutes, prior to slicing.
- Apple and Sausage Stuffing: Saute sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling sausage with back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
- Add butter, onions and celery to skillet; saute until onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add apples; saute until apples are tender but still hold shape, about 10 minutes.
- Add sage, thyme and allspice; saute for another minute.
- Add to sausage.
- Stir in stuffing mix.
- Season with salt and pepper, (stuffing can be made a day ahead; store in covered bowl, in refrigerator) Generously butter 15x10-inch glass baking dish.
- Fill center of crown roast of pork with stuffing (following above directions).
- Transfer remaining stuffing to prepared dish.
- Cover with foil and bake until heated through, about 40 minutes.