Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This appetizer sounds wonderful. I hope to try it soon. From 128 Cafe, St. Paul, Minnesota. Times do not include roasting the garlic.
- 1 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup diced seeded plum tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- 1 French baguette, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- olive oil
- roasted garlic
- 12 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, room temperature (such as Montrachet)
- Stir sugar and vinegar in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add next 4 ingredients and simmer until mixture is syrupy and reduced to 1/2 cup, about 8 minutes.
- Mix in apples and raisins.
- Increase heat to high and boil until apples are tender, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. (Chutney can be made 3 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
- Mix in tomatoes and mint.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Arrange baguette slices on baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Spread each toast with roasted garlic; top with goat cheese and chutney.