1/1 Photo of Crockpot French Herbed Chicken
3 hrs 30 mins
I adapted Debbie R’s French Herbed Chicken for the crockpot for ZWT8’s “A French Love Affair Challenge.” Debbie’s original recipe says to discard the celery before serving. You can see from my photo that I left it in because I like celery a lot. It was not pretty cooked so I highly recommend discarding it before serving! The only changes I made to the ingredients was to skin the chicken and coat it with seasoned flour before browning and I increased the quantity of wine and seasonings just a little. I used a pinot grigio wine instead of sauterne white wine because I normally don’t use sauterne, although I’m eager to try it in this dish. I served this on a bed of brown rice couscous although it would be great on pasta or white rice. I cooked on high for 4 hours but it could have cooked less, so I would try somewhere between 3-4 hours. I didn’t test it on low setting, which I’m sure would work, just not for a full 8 hours. This is chicken after all! Thanks, Debbie, for inspiring this dish! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1360.77 g roasting chickens, skinned and cut into pieces
- 44.37 ml seasoned flour (for dredging)
- 14.79-44.37 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 56.69 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalk celery, cut in 3-inch pieces
- 354.88 ml sauterne white wine
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 1 medium bay leaf
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1In shallow bowl or pie plate, dredge chicken in seasoned flour.
- 2Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in hot oil, in batches, adding more oil if necessary. Remove to crockpot.
- 3Drain excess fat from skillet. Add carrots, onions, mushrooms, and celery and sauté over medium heat a couple of minutes to soften the vegetables a bit. Add wine and seasonings and bring just to the boiling point. Allow to boil a minute or two in order to thicken and reduce the sauce a little. Pour over chicken in crockpot, including any bits left on the bottom of the skillet.
- 4Cover and cook on low setting for 3-4 hours.
- 5Remove bay leaf and celery before serving.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crockpot French Herbed Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.0
- Calories from Fat 518
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 248.5 mg
- Sodium 265.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 60.0 g