Recipe by mersaydees
This is a great recipe based on one from the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook.
Top Review by magpie diner
This makes a massive crock pot full of soup! Very rich with a sort of thick tomato broth, which seemed to please the children. Hearty, tasty and ridiculously easy. Very enjoyable and I look forward to the leftovers tomorrow. (At least enough for 2 meals for our family of 4). I added everything in the order listed, exactly as written (touch more garlic). I'd suggest doing the broth last because I'm not joking about it 'just' fitting my crock pot... :) Thanks Mersay, great recipe! (Veg Swap Jan10)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 handful fresh kale, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley (dry)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed Italian tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- grated cheese (garnish)
- Combine all ingredients except cheese in slow cooker.
- Cook on Low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve topped with grated cheese.