Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is adapted from magpie diner's Vegan Bean Cassoulet, created as a crock pot recipe for the French Love Affair Challenge in ZWT8. All of magpie diner's lovely flavors come through here, but in a 'fix it in the morning and forget it 'til the evening' meal!
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 large red potatoes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence (I used Herbes De Provence)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained (aka white beans, Great Northern)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- Slice the onions, about 1/4" thick. Chop the carrots, celery, and potatoes into 1/2" pieces. Slice the garlic.
- Put the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic and beans into the crock pot and stir to combine. Add herbes de provence, salt, pepper, and bay leaf and stir again.
- Pour tomatoes (undrained) and broth over the veggies in the pot.
- To make the bread crumb topping - combine olive oil, bread, parsley and garlic in a food processor; puree on high until finely crumbled. Sprinkle half of the bread crumbs on top of the crock pot mixture.
- Cover and cook on low heat 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, saute remaining bread crumbs in a dry skillet until lightly toasted. Stir the cassoulet, then top with the toasted bread crumbs.
This didn't go over very well. There's no problem with the recipe - the proportions are perfect. One child hated it, one child LOVED it, Dh & I liked it. The fresh bread crumbs were a huge hit. (I think they're just missing the pork fat). Made for Aussie Swap 1/13.
This was pretty good for a vegetarian meal night - I think next time I'll add more carrots but I think maybe vegan crumbles or real pork sausage (but then it wouldn't be vegan anymore) would really add something to this dish. Thanks for sharing!