Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
adapted from http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com. My husband goes crazy for this!! We have upped the curry paste as we like it a little spicier
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai curry paste (1 for less spicy tastes)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 lb skinless chicken breast
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 fresh lemongrass, bruised (cut off bottom 5 inches, peel off outer layer and smash the stalk with the back of a chef's knife)
- fresh lime juice, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1. Combine coconut milk, curry paste, water, broth, chicken, mushrooms, ginger and lemongrass in slow cooker.
- 2. Cover and cook on LOW for about 4 hours, or on HIGH for about 2-3.
- 3. Remove lemongrass and discard.
- 4. Add in lime juice, to taste, and cilantro, if desired. Plenty of salt and pepper to taste. Stir and serve.
This recipe may be a good idea in theory, or when done correctly, but know ADD THE COCONUT MILK NEAR THE END! Just long enough for it to heat up. I followed the recipe as listed, did it for my first time for a work potluck. It said to cook on Low for up to 4 hours. This won't work with the coconut milk. I learned the hard way that the milk gets too hot and separates. It changes the texture, look, and flavor of the soup. Bummer.