Recipe by Olha
Ginger, molasses, and raisins provide pleasant sweetness to this savoury stew. Serve the stew with a salad of mixed greens, grapes, and toasted walnuts.
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 carrots, sliced thin
- 2 medium parsnips, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca (I use a little more if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker place meat, carrots, parsnips, onion, and celery.
- Sprinkle tapioca, ginger, salt, and pepper over mixture.
- Add undrained tomatoes, vinegar, and molasses.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on High heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in raisins; cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes more.
- 8 servings.
- Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes.