Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
First try of spag. bol. in my slow cooker and it worked out great. Easily adaptable recipe, like lots of tomatoes, add extra! I didn't use oil to brown the mince as I used a non stick pan, certainly can be used though.
- 750 g beef mince
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 (425 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 red capsicums, roasted, skinned and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves
- 3 dried bay leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Peel and chop carrot then use a food processor until very finely diced.
- Brown mince in batches and drain.
- Add carrots, tomato, onion, celery, roast capsicum, garlic, beef stock, oregano, basil, bay leaves, pepper and salt if using to slow cooker.
- Stir to combine Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
My household loves this and we serve it with radiatore. It's meant to be thick, and I find 2 cans of diced tomato has plenty of moisture. I don't bother to chop my veggies very small, so I usually cook it for the full 8 hours.
This is yummy, easy to do, but more of a savoury mince rather than a sauce for spaghetti. I personally would add another 2-3 tins of tomatoes, and some tomato paste, maybe a bit more water to get a saucier consistency. The capsicum is lovely, and I added lots of extra basil because we've got a LOT growing in the garden. Could also grate zucchini or other veges and they would hide well in the sauce.
Sarah! Great recipe! I never use celery or carrots in bolognese usually, but I can say I really liked it with these added. It was great to come home on a cold winter's night from work and have the meal just about ready for you, and tuckerbox is so right the fantastic aroma that permeated through the house It was the first thing that hit me when I first walked in .... WOW.... It just smelt so good!!! Great recipe Sarah! Will be using the crockpot a little more often now I have this recipe!!!