Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Not sure where I got this recipe, but it is a simple one to make in the crock pot. Plan ahead, this needs to marinate overnight in the refrigerator and cook for 8-12 hours.
- 4 lbs rump roast, trimmed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 whole allspice
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup gingersnap cookie, crushed
- Trim roast of all excess fat.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients except roast, flour, water and gingersnaps; stir well.
- Place roast in marinade with fat side down; refrigerate overnight.
- Pour vegetable marinade into crock pot.
- Place marinated roast in crock pot with fat side up.
- Cover and cook on low setting 8 to 12 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, remove roast and turn to high setting.
- Make a smooth paste of flour and water; stir into crock pot with gingersnaps.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Slice roast and return to gravy for serving.
The cut of meat I used was a prime rib roast that I needed to use. It has a light wine taste to it. I love the gingersnap gravy but I almost forgot to add them. It is not sauerbraten if you don't have the gingersnap gravy!! Oh yes, I poured the juice into a large saucepan and heated it up on the stove as I know it would take to long in the crockpot. Another pan yes, but when your kids start chewing on your leg, you do what you got to do. LOL Made this for *Zaar World Tour game* 2008 for the *German Beverage Forum Bier ist Nahrung Cooking Challenge* in the *German Region* I'm playing for the *Tastebud Tickling Travelers* team. *Go Team*
I haven't made Sauerbraten for years and years, so when I saw this recipe I had to try it. This is the "traditional" vinegar/onion" mix exactly as I remember it, and this did not let us down. A perfect "sour" in which to infuse the rump roast with and made such a nice all around marinade. I did let this sit for 3 full days. Turning the meat everyday and redistributing the marinade. On the fourth day, I put everything into the crock first thing early in the morning, and by dinner time that evening we had delicious Sauerbraten. I added some potato dumplings to the top and cooked an extra hour and the gingersnaps. Perfect and delicious. Thank you so much lazyme! Made for ZWT4 June 2008.