This is a staple in Mediterranean diets. The flavorful cod marries perfectly with the seasoned beans. Serve with a simple green salad, crusty bread and cold white wine for a delicious meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb salt cod fish
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dried navy beans, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1Rinse cod well under cold running water. Cut into five or six pieces and place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, changing the water several times, until fish is softened and there is no trace of salt.
- 2In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, rosemary, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware. Add cooked beans, vegetable stock or chicken stock and white wine and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- 3Drain cod. In a heavy pot with a lid, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add lemon juice and bay leaf. Add cod and cook until water almost reaches a simmer (it should not boil). Cover and remove from heat. Let fish stand for 15 minutes, until it flakes easily. Using a slotted spoon, lift out cod. Remove any skin, bones or dark pieces and flake cod into small pieces.
- 4Add cod and cream to slow cooker. Cover and cook on High for 1 hour, until mixture is hot and bubbling. Serve piping hot. Serves 6 to 8.
- 5TIP: Salt cod is easy to cook, although it requires a long period of soaking with several changes of water. Planning ahead and cooking the dried beans in conjunction with soaking the fish can make this a relatively time efficient recipe.
- 6MAKE AHEAD: You can soak and cook the beans for this recipe while the cod is de-salting. Soak the beans for at least 8 hours, then cook overnight in the slow cooker. In the morning, continue with step 2.
- 7Delicious & Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Salt Cod Cassoulet
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.6
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 169.2 mg
- Sodium 5750.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 64.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: