Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs 20 mins
From Canadian Living Slow cooker Cookbook Special. This is a recipe I'd like to try soon. It looks so easy to make.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch crumbled saffron threads or 1 pinch ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the onion, carrots, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened (about 5 min).
- Add sauteed veggies to slow cooker.
- Add vegetable stock, rice, sun dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and saffron.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on low until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the peas, peppers and lemon juice using a fork.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes until hot and peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
This was a great recipe. I substituted zuchini for peppers because my bf was allergic. I added raw peas in at the very beginning and they were still a little hard at the end but still good. I bought jarred Sun Dried tomatoes and added a bit of the oil in the jar in with the other spices to give more flavor. It almost tastes like fried rice to me so I think I might put scrambled tofu in next time for a substitute for eggs since I'm vegan. The recipe was a big hit with my bf and his friends =)
GREAT! I decided to try this with about 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice, tumeric and all else the same. After 4 hours the rice was still hard so I added 2 cups of water and played with high heat and back to low heat. It ended up cooking through by around 6 hours. This has a surprisingly good flavor considering it doesn't have complex spices and herbs added. I especially enjoyed the sun-dried tomatoes and the pop of the peas. Freddy Cat says hi! Made for the Zaar Tag game.