Prep 24 hrs
Cook 12 hrs
I got me a crock pot,, nuff said.. The long and low melted most of the greasiness out of the shoulder, and the vinegar apple juice combination added a sweet moistness to the final product.
- 1133.98-1814.36 g boneless pork shoulder
- 44.37 ml dark brown sugar
- 29.58 ml cajun seasoning
- 14.79 ml salt
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml dried chipotle powder
- 7.39 ml mesquite powder
- 118.29 ml frozen apple juice concentrate
- 118.29 ml cider vinegar
- Combine the rub spices and coat the shoulder.
- Bag the rubbed shoulder overnight in the fridge.
- Put Apple juice and vinegar in crock pot and add the shoulder and the rub that's stuck on it.
- Start the pot on high, turn down to med after an hour and a half.
- Cook for 12 hours total, 10 hours if your pot has no medium setting.
- Remove the shoulder and let rest for at least half an hour.
- Pull shoulder apart with a couple of forks.
- Place the pork on a cheap bun or Wonder bread with your favorite barbecue sauce and some slaw if you want to be traditional.
We really liked this. I thought it was a little dry...probably because I do not have a medium setting on my crockpot. I cooked it for 10 hours on high...next time I will try the low setting.
This was my first time making pulled pork and it turned out delicious! I didn't have any problems with it being too salty like some reviewers mentioned. I thought it was perfect! I cooked mine on low for about 11 hours and it was just right. Thanks for a great recipe!
I am a newbie to using a crock pot and I have never made pulled pork before. I recieved about 7 recipes from friends but they all called to cook the pork in the serving sauce and I just thought that to spice the meat would be better - so people could sauce it for added sweetness to personal taste.
This was PERFECT. I wouldn't change a thing. Easy and Delicious. I got soo many requests for the "place" I ordered the pulled pork from I owe T. Wolfe a compliment or two!