Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Not terribly authentic, but a great Chinese-tasting meal.
Make and share this Crock Pot Kowloon Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 1⁄2 ounces pineapple, sliced in syrup
- 4 ounces water chestnuts, drained sliced
- 4 green onions, diagonally cut
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Combine ginger, garlic, broth and syrup from pineapple; set aside.
- Cut pineapple slices into fourths.
- Arrange pineapple and water chestnuts over chicken.
- Pour ginger sauce over all.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour; reduce heat to low and cook an additional 2 to 3 hours or until chicken is tender (it can be cooked up to 8 hours).
- Add green onions.
- Dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce and vinegar.
- Stir into pot.
- Cover and cook on high 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve with crisp Chinese noodles.
I thought this was wonderful. Very easy to do. I did add a little extra soy sauce and corn starch - somehow I ended up with more liquid than I guess you should have - probably a fattier chicken or whatever. Delicious, as usual, Mirjam.
My husband, my grandkids, and my children all thought this dish was delicious!I didn't have any water chestnuts and I used crushed pineapple instead of sliced. I couldn't find my cornstarch, so I ended up using flour to thicken it, and it was still wonderful! Oh, I only had about an hour and a half till dinner, so I cooked it in a saucepan over the stove.Thanks!
Wonderful! Because of a mix-up in some friends schedule I had 6 pounds if thighs which had to be used quickly so chose this. I doubled the recipe. I only had chunk pineapple. I only had one tin of Water Chestnuts so I added a tin of julienne Bamboo Shoots. Chinese wouldn't be Chinese without the counter-point of some chilies to liven things up. A teaspoon of crushed Red Chili Flakes worked well. As you say, not authentic but them peasant cooking no matter the country has always been making do with what's at hand. This freezes well which is good because I have about 9 or 10 meals in the freezer. Thanx, Pierre