Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
- 24 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, sliced
- 6 ounces no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 24 fluid ounces reduced-sodium beef broth or 24 fluid ounces stock
- seasoning, to taste
- In a skillet, sauté the onions until they are all starting to turn brown.
- Add the ground beef, sauté until it is browned and drain thoroughly; place in crock pot.
- Add the carrots, celery and cabbage.
- In a bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth/stock.
- Add mixture to crock pot and stir to blend.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
This is a great tasting, filling soup. The only thing I did was to add 1 cup of corn. What a great meal for a cold winter night. Thanks!
Very good soup. I used cumin, celery seed and a bay leaf for seasonings. There was a lot of meat in this recipe -- for my taste, next time I would decrease the amount of ground beef and increase the amount of cabbage.
I forgot to put the cabbage in!! And I added the 3 cups of water with bouillion in it for broth. It was filling and delicious. The true test? My hubby ate 3 bowls. Thanks so much.