I nice crockpot recipe for a great chicken dish. I use this Herbes de Provence recipe for what is called for. It's great to have made up ahead of time just for dishes like this. The use of chicken thighs instead of breasts makes the dish cheaper and more flavorful. Don't let the long ingredient list scare you away. It only looks like a fancy pants recipe. Once you throw it all together in the crockpot, the most work you have to do is in making the sauce at the end.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, julienne
- 1 (15 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth or 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup Greek olive, sliced
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Mix butter, herbs, salt and pepper, and garlic. Rub on chicken pieces. Put into crock pot. Add onion, tomatoes, consommé and vermouth. Cover. Put on low for 4-5 hours.
- Add olives and peel. Recover. Put on high for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and keep the pieces warm.
- Pour juices into saucepan or skillet. In separate cup, combine cornstarch and water. Mix until smooth. Stir into juices. Bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with basil, parsley and pimentos.