Recipe by yohanthechefman
These tacos are delicious and easy to make! To change things up try a beef or pork roast for delicious shredded beef/pork tacos!
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
I really wanted to love this recipe, but I'm sorry to say that it was just okay for us. Only the 3 adults could eat it, as the kids didn't like the flavor at all. I have to admit that I didn't read through the ingredient amounts before I tagged this recipe for PAC. After making it though, with some adjustments, I suspect that some of the amounts called for are a little too much. I reduced the taco seasoning to about 4 Tablespoons. I use the homemade seasoning from Recipe #327486, which calls for 7 teaspoons per one pound of beef, so I knew that using Tablespoons of it in the chicken would be inedible. (The difference in the chicken mixture's color between our photos is quite different! lol) I have had a very bad experience in the past with too much liquid smoke, so I reduced that from 3-4 teaspoons to 1 teaspoon. Unfortunately, the liquid smoke still over-powered the rest of the flavors. I loved the idea of using lime and tequila in this recipe, but both were completely lost in the smoke flavor. I think this recipe has a lot of potential, but not with the ingredient amounts as written. We served the filling with fresh sliced sweet peppers, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and salsa. Thank you for sharing your recipe, yohanthechefman! Made for the Fall 2012 Pick-A-Chef event.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2.5-3 lbs)
- 8 chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, diced
- 7 tablespoons low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 -4 teaspoons liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- In a hot fry pan, quickly sear each chicken breast on each side (about 3-5 seconds on each side. Put breasts in crock pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the salt) and mix with hand until the chicken is covered evenly.
- Turn crock pot on low and cook for 6-7 hours.
- Shred chicken with fork and salt to taste.
- Cook on low for another hour or so. (optional).
- Serve with warm flour/corn tortillas, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, fresh cilantro and hot sauce.