Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I attended a cooking class and the chef prepared this at home since it was a crock pot recipe but showed us how to prepare the meal during our class. It is a meal I prepare often. When our son and his wife come for dinner she always requests chicken stew. I serve it with polenta. The gravy is awesome!!
- 12 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup merlot or 1⁄2 other dry wine
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place the muhrooms, onion and garlic in the insert of a slow cooker.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper and place in the insert on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, tomato paste, wine, tapioca,thyme 1/4 teasoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.Pour over chicken and vegetables in the insert.
- Cover and cook 3 to 4 hours on high or 7 to 8 hours on low.
This was DELICIOUS. I had extra mushrooms too because I <3 mushrooms, but it turned out perfectly. Served it over mashed potatoes and added a bit of extra salt because I also <3 salt. Will definitely make this again, and will enjoy the leftovers over the next couple days.
I've made this a few times now - each time I love it more. I make it when I know I'm having friends over or when I know I'm not going to have time to make dinner during the week. I live alone, and I find it freezes pretty well. Love it over rice, or wide noodles.
This is a nice slow cooker chicken dish. Loved the addition of the mushrooms and added a bit more than the recipe called for because DH requested it. I did not have the tapioca and I started to thicken the sauce with a cornstarch/water slurry, but decided not to as I didn't want to change the flavor of the tomato sauce. Since I was serving this dish with rice, I left the sauce just as it was. Made for Spring PAC, April, 2013.