Crock Pot Apple Chicken Stew (Low Fat)
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and cubed (you may use 3 or even 4 apples if desired)
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- In a slow cooker, layer potatoes, carrots, onion and celery.
- Combine salt, thyme, pepper and caraway; sprinkle half over veggies.
- In a skillet, saute the chicken cubes in oil, until browned; transfer to a slow cooker.
- Top with apple.
- Combine the apple cider and vinegar; pour over chicken and apple.
- Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture.
- Top with bay leaf.
- Cover, and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until veggies are tender, and chicken is cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Stir before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Good recipe that I will make again and I am very happy to have something new and different in my crock pot repertoire. I found this searching for recipes to use up apple cider I have leftover from the holidays. I did not have the celery or caraway seed on hand. I added 3/4 teaspoon of celery seed. Thanks for sharing!