Recipe by JeriBinNC
Make up a bunch of caramelized onions at once and freeze them for later. This is so easy.
Top Review by Chohertz
Great recipe! Great way to use up the last of the 10# bag of onions I buy from Costco. I used these broken up on pizzas and in casseroles. I cannot wait until the sweet Vidalia and 1015s come back into season. I am going to freeze lots of these.
Directions See How It's Made
- You can use just about any kind of onion for this--Vidalia, Spanish, yellow--it's your choice.
- Slice the stem and root ends off each onion. Peel the onions, but leave them whole.
- Place onions and butter in crock pot and cook on low for anywhere from 12-36 hours. The onions will get deep golden brown and literally fall apart.
- Use right away or freeze for later.
- Suggested uses: in omelets, sandwiches, soups, casseroles, dips, pasta sauce, or alongside any grilled meat.
- Note: If your crock pot is big enough, you can double the amount of onions.