Recipe by smoke alarm jr
Description:I found a similar recipe to this one in a Canadian cookbook. I altered the vegetable and spices to suit our tastes. If one does not have the time or want to brown stew meat then a pound of cooked ground beef will do quite nicely. I usually serve with warm rolls or garlic bread.
Top Review by Merlot
My husband and I really enjoyed this stew. Becasue he loves garlic so much, he asked that I add a few cloves of garlic which I did toward the end of the cooking time. But it tasted great even before I added the garlic. I did as you suggested and thickened it with 1/2 cup of watr with 2 tbsp of flour. This is a stew I will make over and over. Thank you so much, Smoke Alarm Jr.
- 1 (1 lb) package stew meat
- 1 cup flour
- oil, for browning
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 small turnip, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed carrots
- 1 box frozen peas
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid gravy browner
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss stew meat with flour and brown in heated oil in a skillet.
- Add the cooked meat and all other ingredients into a 4 Qt crock pot.
- Stir well and cook on low 9-10 hours or on high 5-6 hours.
- Turn crock pot off and enjoy!
- I like my stew thick so after I turn the crock pot off I mix 1/2 cup of water with 2 tbsp of flour and stir into the stew.
- I also like to add a small can of diced tomatoes at this time.
- Hint--one may substitue 1/2 cup of barley in place of the potato.