Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I'm always looking for good recipes for my crock pot. Found this one in a magazine that a camper left behind at the campground laundromat when I was on my last vacation.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 small zucchini, halved and slice 1/4 inch thick
- Brown beef in oil, drain and put in crock pot.
- Add onions, tomatoes, carrots, garlic and tapioca to the pot.
- Combine broth, wine and seasonings. Pour over the items in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.
- The last 45 minutes add the zucchini and switch to high heat.
- Serve over rice.
I cooked it 8 hours at low. The meat was tender. I decided to not add the zucchini. That way I was sure the meat would stay tender. I felt like the taste needed something so at the end I stired in ketchup. It could have been tomato paste but it was easier to use ketchup. No waste. I used 4 small roma tomatoes from my garden. A bit more than 1 cup of baby carrot. Thanks TAM. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.