Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in a Anthony Worrell Thompson Cook Book & Modified it slightly for Slow cooking There are plenty of ingredients & a bit of prep but its great and easy if you're feeding a crowd
- 2 kg chuck steaks, ground
- 500 g streaky bacon (cut into strips)
- 1 kg onion (Chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (Chopped)
- 4 red chilies, fresh (Finely Chopped)
- 2 (800 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 (1 1/4 kg) cans red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves, ground
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 450 ml beef stock
- fresh coriander (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons frying oil (Groundnut)
- Add the frying oil to a large pan (I use a wok) & fry the ground beef in batches until brown adding each batch as brown to the crock pot.
- Add the streaky bacon to the pan & fry until golden.
- With a slotted spoon remove to the crock pot reserving the bacon fat.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, chilies and bay leaf to the pan & fry in the bacon fat for 2 or 3 minutes then add the herbs & spices except the cinnamon & black pepper.
- Fry until softened, add to the crock pot.
- Add to the crock pot the tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste, cinnamon, cocoa powder & black pepper. Cover & cook on low setting for 8-10 Hours.
- 30 minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the kidney beans.
- Fold in the chopped coriander just before serving.
- Serve with white rice, baked potatoes or both & drizzle over the Chili Creme Fraiche & if you wish a few chopped red onions.
- To Make the Chili Creme Fraiche.
- You will need 400g Creme Fraiche (sour cream) add to this 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 3 tablespoons of lime juice & 3 tablespoons each of chopped fresh coriander & chopped fresh parsley.
- Blend all together cover & refrigerate overnight.