Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe calls for beef roast, however I like short rib meat the best for chili. Any meat that is good for long cooking will work for this recipe
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bottom round steaks, cubed
- 12 ounces salsa (like Pace)
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- 12 ounces water or 12 ounces beer
- 4 ounces water
- 15 ounces pinto beans
- 15 ounces hominy
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat a 10' cast iron skillet over medium to med-high heat.
- In a medium size bowl add the cubed meat, the flour, and oil and mix to get all the flour and oil on the meat.
- Working in two batches, Brown all side of the cubed meat and add to the crock pot. When all the meat is browned and added to the crock, add the 4 oz of water and scrape the sides of the pan to remove any bits from the pan. Add the liquid to the crock.
- Add the salsa, chips, water, Chili powder, black pepper, and oregano. Add salt to taste, remember that the chips contain salt.
- Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Using a potato masher, break up the meat in the chili.
- Add the drained pinto beans, and drained hominy to the chili and stir will. Season to taste with salt and pepper.