Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Came from the Feb. 2005 Women's Day magazine. I am always on the lookout for crock pot recipes and this one is a keeper. Do not use quick cooking barley.
- 12 ounces lean beef chuck
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with onion and garlic
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed & sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup barley
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup snipped fresh dill
- Mix all ingredients except the dill in a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with dill.