Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 14 hrs
I adapted this recipe to the crock pot and it comes out wonderful! I put a 90 minute prep time because it takes me about 30 min to prepare the apples, 30 minutes to cook on the stove, and 30 minutes to run the mixture through my food mill twice. One time through is sufficient though. This makes a great spread for breads, graham crackers, a dip for pretzels, and even spread on unfrosted cake.
- Wash, peel, core, and coarsely chop the apples.
- Place apples in a large pot with the apple juice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on the stovetop; reduce heat and simmer until the apples are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Strain the soft apples and juice through a food mill or press through a fine mesh sieve right into a large crock pot.
- For a finer consistency, strain the pulp twice.
- Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 12-14 hours until thickened.
- The butter is done when it mounds up on a spoon and has a glossy sheen.
- The butter is also done when a spoonful placed on a chilled plate does not release any liquid.
- Ladle butter into clean, hot half-pint or pint jars.
- Wipe rims with a damp cloth.
- Place dome lids on the jars and screw on the bands.
- Process jars in a 200F water bath 10 minutes for half-pints, 15 minutes for pints.