15 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Jenny Rowan's Note:
I adapted this recipe to the crock pot and it comes out wonderful! I put a 90 minute prep time because it takes me about 30 min to prepare the apples, 30 minutes to cook on the stove, and 30 minutes to run the mixture through my food mill twice. One time through is sufficient though. This makes a great spread for breads, graham crackers, a dip for pretzels, and even spread on unfrosted cake.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs apples
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
Additional Butter Ingredients
- 1Wash, peel, core, and coarsely chop the apples.
- 2Place apples in a large pot with the apple juice.
- 3Bring the mixture to a boil on the stovetop; reduce heat and simmer until the apples are soft, about 30 minutes.
- 4Strain the soft apples and juice through a food mill or press through a fine mesh sieve right into a large crock pot.
- 5For a finer consistency, strain the pulp twice.
- 6Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended.
- 7Cover and cook on low heat for 12-14 hours until thickened.
- 8The butter is done when it mounds up on a spoon and has a glossy sheen.
- 9The butter is also done when a spoonful placed on a chilled plate does not release any liquid.
- 10Ladle butter into clean, hot half-pint or pint jars.
- 11Wipe rims with a damp cloth.
- 12Place dome lids on the jars and screw on the bands.
- 13Process jars in a 200F water bath 10 minutes for half-pints, 15 minutes for pints.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Awesome Apple Butter
Serving Size: 1 (3453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.1
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 142.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 128.5 g
- Protein 1.0 g