Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is excellent meal for winter time. It is important to use natural beans, not canned, because canned have certain taste which can spoil the meal. Soak the beans overnight in water, change the water, cook until boils (plus 5 min), than change water again and cook until is almost done. Than put it in cold water and start with ingredients.
- 1 kg beans (preferable Croatian "tresnjevec" beans, but you can use any kind avoid canned)
- 1 large onion (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons lard (preferably, but oil can do)
- 100 g bacon (Croatian "pancetta",finely minced plus pancetta skin for taste)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 teaspoons paprika (red, dried, grounded)
- 10 g flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili pepper (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 g salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Soak beans overnight in water. Wash the beans and put it in fresh cold water unit it boils. Cook it for 10 minutes, change the water, and cook for more 20-30 minutes. Remove beans and put it in cold water.
- Melt the lard in the pot and add the sliced onion. Sauté the onion until it is soft. Add minced pancetta and sauté it for 5 more minutes, than add garlic. Sauté it for 1-2 minutes and add flour. Sauté it until the flour is slightly brown and than add paprika and chilli.
- Add water gently and make a cream of all ingredients. Than add beans and bay leaf and water to cover the beans. Cook for 1 hour on very gently fire. (in Croatia we have special sausages "cesnjovke" which we put in this beans and cook all together, but you can put any kind of smoked, dried meat - pork or beef).
- Very important to know is that you do not add chilli or any kind of hot paprika afterwards. Hot paprika must be cooked from the very beginning or you will suffer from very bad digestive process. We in Croatia always drink alcohol if we eat something hot, otherwise, you'll also have very bad digestive process. This meal is very good during cold winter, it renews your strength.