Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This tilapia is baked in the oven but it also can be sauteed with oil in a skillet over medium-high heat about 2 minutes per side. Found in Cuisine Tonight. I love to use seasoned panko crumbs when making these. I am including a tarter sauce recipe to serve with them.
- 1 lb tilapia fillet, cut into 1-inch strips (about 5 fillets)
- salt and lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp.olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Season fish with salt and lemon pepper. Mix mayonnaise with juice from 2 lemon wedges (about 1 tablespoon).
- To bread fish, place mayonnaise mixture, flour and panko separately on three plates. Dredge fish in flour until thoroughly coated, then in mayonnaise mixture, then in panko. Transfer breaded fish to a baking pan, drizzle with oil.
- Bake until fish strips feel firm, about 7-8 minutes. Move fish to top oven rack; broil until fish is golden brown about 1 minute (rotate baking sheet for even browning). Serve tilapia with tarter sauce and remaining lemon wedges.
- Tarter Sauce:.
- 1 cup mayonnaise, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tablespoon chopped capers, sweet pickle relish and minced onion. Season with dried/or fresh dill, salt and lemon pepper to taste.
Thankyou Mama !!! The first time I made this, I followed the recipe to a tee (other than using a reduced fat mayo). We loved this fish. The second time I made this, I used the reduced fat mayo again, and this time used southwest seasoning in place of the lemon pepper. These fish "fingers" then became part of fish tacos. With the crunch from the Panko, thses were the best darn fish tacos ever. Thanks so much for posting this recipe !!
I'm hooked! :-) Reminds me of the old adage, "Give a girl a fish, you feed her for a day. Teach a girl to fish, you feed her for a lifetime." (What...you doubt me?)
This was soooooo very good!!! Had this for dinner tonight and everyone loved it!!! Glad I made a lot cuz it went fast! Nice big garden salad with black olives, cukes, and feta!!! Olive oil and I Italian white wine vinegar.Yum!!!
I love panko and the nice crunch! Not too much and just enough coating!
Very easy and I recommend it highly!!! Thank you! Jelly :)