Recipe by Pikake21
Super easy and quick way to prepare calamari. This is from Nigella Express.
Top Review by iris5555
I didn't make the garlic mayonnaise, but very much enjoyed the squid. The semolina added a bit of crunch and texture. I would add a bit more Old Bay next time or add some salt to the mixture.
- 9 ounces frozen squid (tubes and tentacles to give about 7 ounces unfrozen )
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- 1 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (recommend Old Bay or salt and paprika )
- 1 cup oil (or as needed, depending on the size of pan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a smallish saucepan and while it's left to heat up cut the thawed squid into 1/2-inch rings.
- Put the cornstarch, semolina and seasoning into a plastic freezer bag. Add the squid rings and tentacles and then toss to coat.
- When the oil is hot enough, which is when it sizzles up fiercely when you drop in a small cube of bread, fry the squid in batches to get the most golden crunchiness.
- A couple of minutes per batch is all you should need.
- Mince the garlic into the mayonnaise to serve alongside the fried squid.