Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry. This is a riff on one of my favorite appetizers - fried shrimp and potatoes tossed in a barbecue ranch dressing make for great party snacks! I added long hot peppers for extra heat, but you can leave those out to your liking.
- 1⁄4 cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (any variety)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 lb medium shrimp, raw, shelled and de-veined
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from one lemon)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 red potatoes, cut into disks
- 2 long hot peppers, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- In a small bowl combine Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, mayonnaise, and barbecue sauce. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat canola oil over medium high heat.
- In another bowl combine panko breadcrumbs, lemon zest, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Toss shrimp in breadcrumb mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Test cooking oil by dropping a few breadcrumbs in the oil - they should sizzle without browning immediately.
- Place potato slices in oil and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Working in 2 or 3 batches, cook shrimp and long hot pepper slices together until shrimp turn pink and coating is golden brown, about 2 minutes each batch. Remove with slotted spoon to same paper towel-lined plate as potatoes and allow to drain. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Place shrimp, potatoes, and peppers in a bowl and toss with barbecue ranch sauce until thoroughly coated. Transfer to a plate and garnish with minced chives. Serve immediately.
comfort food snack - just make a lot of it and call it dinner. SO good!
I like all of this.