Recipe by dolores in paradise
For all you people who love onion rings..I just have to share this recipe. These are like no others ,I have ever had. They are addictive. Every time we go to Santa Rosa, Ca. there is this little place that serves the best hamburgers and these onion rings.I found this recipe and yep this is it.Dh says mine are even better.The secret is you must slice the onion rings very thin I used my meat slicer.I think a processor may also work. I found this on the web by Jo Mason, thanks Jo.
- 4 -5 medium sized yellow onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups beer (that is flat)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- shortening (for frying, I use Crisco 0 trans fat)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, cornmeal, and beer.
- Cover bowl and let sit at room temperature for about 3 hours (longer is ok).
- Cut onions into 1/4 inch slices. Speparate into rings.
- Heat shortening in deep fryer or large heavy skillet.
- (I use my wok).
- Using fork dip onion rings into batter. Place in hot fat (375).
- Fry until golden, turning if needed.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Salt to taste and serve immediately.
- Tip.They will stick together, but this is what makes them so yummy.
- just keep turning over til brown.