1/4 Photos of Crisp Panko Chicken Cutlets w/Tonkatsu Sauce
We just tried this recipe last week from Fine Cooking Magazine. I love the crispness the panko bread crumbs give the chicken and the tonkatsu sauce is a nice tangy sauce that goes great with the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten with
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1With a sharp knife, lightly score both sides of the chicken breasts in a checkerboard pattern.
- 2Lay a sheet of plastic wrap over the breasts and pound until they are about ½ inch thick.
- 3Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Dredge the chicken in the flour and then dip it in the beaten eggs, shaking to remove excess.
- 5Dip each piece in the flour and egg again an then coat the chicken in the panko.
- 6In a deep, straight sided sauté pan, heat about ¼ inch vegetable oil over medium high heat until the oil ripples and simmers in the pan and instantly erupts into lots of bubbles when you dip a corner of the chicken breast into it.
- 7Immediately reduce the heat to medium low and fry the chicken in batches until cooked through and golden on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- 8If the oil seems to cool down to much during frying, increase the heat a little to maintain a steady bubbling action.
- 9Drain the chicken on paper towels and serve it with abundant shredded cabbage and tonkatsu sauce.
- 10tonkatsu sauce: In a small saucepan, whisk together the Worcestershire, sugar, soy sauce and ketchup.
- 11Bring to a simmer over medium low heat.
- 12Reduce the heat to gentle simmer and whisk often until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes.
- 13Whisk in mustard and allspice.
- 14Cool to room temperature.
- 15The sauce will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crisp Panko Chicken Cutlets w/Tonkatsu Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.3
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 215.0 mg
- Sodium 2130.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 26.8 g
- Protein 42.2 g