Recipe by Caryn
My mom used to make this great potato side dish frequently in our house. The potatoes were crispy plus there was the bonus of crisp bacon too. Great way to use potatoes before they go bad. Serving size depends on the number of potatoes that you dice so I put 1-6 as this field was required.
Top Review by Caryn
Just to note: The intent of the recipe is for the bacon fat to render out and spill over the potatoes while they baking thus creating a crispy outer layer to the potatoes and crisp bacon strips. Bacon that has already been cooked would not provide the bacon fat necessary to coat the potatoes so that they become crispy on the outside nor would it provide the flavor. Another possible alternative, though I have not tried this, would be to toss the potatoes in the bacon fat rendered out from the cooked bacon. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and place the cooked bacon on top. The only problem with this method is that the bacon would more than likely burn.
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes; dice into large pieces.
- Grease a large baking pan with sides.
- Place potatoes in a single layer in the pan.
- Lay strips of bacon across the potatoes.
- Bake 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- **This recipe is great because you can use one or more potatoes.
- Usually 1 pound of bacon will work with a large number of potatoes.