Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Family Circle, "A melting pot of traditions go into Creole dishes French, Spanish, African and Native American originating in the Louisiana Bayou." Adapted slightly.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb frozen large shrimp, thawed, shelled, deveined
- 4 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup diced tomato
- cooked white rice
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and season with 1 teaspoon of the Creole seasoning. Saute for 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil. Saute the carrots for about 5 minutes, until just softening. Add the peppers, onion, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Scrape up any browned bits in bottom of skillet.
- Add tomatoes and remaining Creole seasoning. Break up large tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Simmer, covered, for 7 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and heat through. Serve with cooked rice.